What does your closet say about you? Does it say you always in a rush and scrambling to put an outfit together? Does it say you don’t like hanging things and rather put throw them in a pile? Or, does it say you are you a neat freak that has their closet color coordinated, with everything neatly hung up? If you're like me, you may clean it but by the end of the week you’re back to square one. When your closet is organized it makes it so much easier to see what you really have. You may even re-discover some clothing pieces you forgot you had. Recently I organized my closet and I am so happy with the way it turned out! Here are my tips!
1. Get Rid of Clothing you Don’t Wear When going through your closet ask yourself these questions: “When was the last time I wore this?” “Do I like this piece anymore?” Donate the things you don’t want but are still in good condition. If you find things in your closet that you don’t want to donate but would like to sell I recommend using the app Poshmark. On Poshmark you can buy and sell new and used clothing, shoes, handbags, and accessories. It’s simple and you can make money off the things that had just been sitting in your closet.
2. Invest in Matching Hangers Investing in matching hangers will make your closet look much more organized. I recommend getting velvet hangers because they are sturdy, and your clothes don’t slip off. These hangers can be found in many stores, for the best deal, I recommend getting these from Marshalls, TJ Maxx, or Ross.
3. Organize Your Clothes Organize your clothes based on what you feel will help you to find your clothes easiest. You can organize them by color, type, or sleeve/pant length. Personally, I organized my clothes by type (pants, shirts, sweaters, dresses, etc.). This way I know exactly where to go to find a specific item.
4. Organize Your Shoes There are so many ways you can organize your shoes! The size of your closet will help you to decide the best and most space saving option. Before organizing be sure to get rid of any worn shoes or shoes you know you aren’t going to wear anymore.
5. Add a Mirror If you have enough space, add a full-length mirror to your closet. You can either put one on the closet door, hung one up in the closet, or somewhere in your room. Full-length mirrors are great for getting a full look at your entire outfit before you leave out.
6. Keep it Organized! If you’re like me after organizing your closet it only takes two or three days before it starts to look like how it did originally. The key to keeping it organized is to do your laundry regularly and hang up your clothes (don’t throw them in a pile)! Make the most out of your closet! Get rid of the things you don’t wear and organize what’s left. You won’t regret it!
Ciara G. Tatem